Find Deck Staining in Burkeville, Virginia
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What is the best season for staining a deck?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance task and you'll get better results when executing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck is better when the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm and colder temperatures can affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as excessive moisture can extend drying times and increase the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have specifications on how long curing will take, and it's required that they remain dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
What steps should be taken before initiating the deck staining process?
Careful prepping of the deck and the surrounding area must be conducted to ensure a good finish. Vegetation should be removed, and any pathways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on the deck may need to be washed and sanded to allow good penetration and adhesion.
Choosing the right stain for your deck is an essential step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects such as:
- Species of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from particular stains that will provide your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks ranges from translucent to solid, with solid usually delivering superior defense from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck is known for low durability, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its color and opacity to accentuate or stand out from the aesthetic of your house and lawn.
What are some benefits of applying stain to my deck compared to painting it?
Deck staining and painting have different advantages, so it's essential to analyze which option most fits your needs when deciding between them. The two most significant advantages of painting are its extensive selection of colors and enhanced surface shielding. However, paint also needs more maintenance due to flaking and fading relatively fast. On the other hand, stain will not peel once properly dried, requires minimal effort to maintain, and has other advantages, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely coats the surface, stains soak into the wood, offering better defense from moisture, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains have additives that boost durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to decide which option will be best for you and your home.
Why do I hear so many homeowners say deck staining is a smart investment?
Staining a deck brings many benefits, such as enhancing its style, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains are sold in a range of hues and opacities that can help re-energize the aesthetic of your house and yard. You're not limiting yourself when picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many options to accentuate your home or create a look that stands apart.
The security that stain gives your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a contractor who can deliver excellent results. The weather in Burkeville, Virginia poses the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how strong the kind of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. A few other benefits of deck staining include stopping bugs and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Hire an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor in Burkeville, Virginia on Thumbtack and Get the Look and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for refreshing its appearance and delivering long-lasting protection against weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A reliable contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to ensure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a contractor is highly advised if you lack experience performing deck staining or the time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to secure the wood from water, sun, and insects. You will also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can offer when it comes to picking the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired look. Although stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, many hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
Many homeowners wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting has better variety of colors and looks and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times throughout the years as it chips away beneath steady foot traffic and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and has pigments that block destructive UV rays and other additives that protect it from rot and insect damage. It also doesn't need reapplication for two to three years if properly dried.
Staining a deck requires attention to detail and thoughtful consideration for every step of the process. Performing the task at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in less protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by hiring a pro who can deliver stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Burkeville, Virginia and choose the best one matching your needs and budget all in one place on the powerful Thumbtack platform.