Find Deck Staining in Chesapeake, Virginia
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What season of the year is recommended for undertaking a deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance task and you'll achieve better results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining any deck works better while the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm or colder temperatures will affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as excessive moisture will prolong drying times and heighten the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with directions on how long curing should take, and it's required that it stays dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours before any possible showers.
Prior to staining a deck, what are the preparatory steps that are taken?
Careful preparation of the deck and the surrounding area must be conducted to guarantee a good result. Vegetation should be cut, and nearby pathways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on the deck may need to be cleaned and sanded to allow good penetration and sticking.
Picking the right stain for your deck is an essential step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including factors such as:
- Species of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from particular stains that will give your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks ranges from transparent to solid, with solid typically delivering superior defense from water and UV rays. If the wood used on your deck is known for low durability, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its color and opaqueness to accentuate or stand out from the look of your home and yard.
Will painting my deck be a better choice than staining it?
Deck staining and painting have their own benefits, so it's essential to analyze which option best fits your needs when deciding between them. The two biggest benefits of painting are its extensive selection of colors and improved surface protection. However, paint also needs extensive maintenance due to chipping and fading over time. Conversely, stain does not peel if properly dried, requires less effort to care for, and has other benefits, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely coats the surface, stains soak into the wood, providing better defense from water, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains are mixed with additives that boost durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the advantages of deck staining or painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to decide which option will be best for you and your home.
Why do I hear so many people say deck staining is a good investment?
Staining a deck provides many benefits, such as enhancing its look, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains come in a range of colors and opacities that will help reinvigorate the style of your home and grounds. You're not as limited as you may think by choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many choices to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands out on its own.
The security that stain gives your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a contractor to deliver excellent results. The weather in Chesapeake, Virginia is the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how strong the species of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. A few other benefits of deck staining include keeping out insects and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Discover an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor Near Chesapeake, Virginia on Thumbtack and Get the Style and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for updating its look and delivering long-lasting protection against the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A reliable contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to make sure it turns out the way you expected.
Hiring a contractor is highly advised if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures correctly to secure the wood from moisture, sun, and pests. You can also benefit from the advice that contractors can share regarding choosing the right stain for the species of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired look. Although stain cannot offer as many style options as paint, many colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting gives better variety of colors and aesthetics and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times over the years as it peels away beneath steady foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and has pigments that block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from rot and insect damage. Stain also won't need to be reapplied for two to three years so long as it's been properly dried.
Staining any deck requires attention to detail and thoughtful consideration for every step of the project. Carrying out the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in insufficient protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by enlisting an expert who can ensure excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Chesapeake, Virginia and choose the best one matching your vision and budget all in one place with the convenient Thumbtack platform.