Find Deck Staining in Covington, Virginia
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a big variance in advantages between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting have unique benefits, so it's essential to analyze which option best fits your needs when deciding between them. The two most significant benefits of painting are the extensive variety of colors and enhanced surface preservation. However, paint also demands more maintenance due to flaking and fading relatively fast. On the other hand, stain will not peel if properly cured, requires less effort to maintain, and has more benefits, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which only covers the surface, stains soak into the wood, offering better defense from water, the sun, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains are mixed with additives that boost durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the benefits of deck staining or painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice is right for you and your home.
Can staining my deck help shield it from weather-related damage?
Staining a deck provides several advantages, such as enhancing its style, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains come in a variety of colors and opacities that can help re-energize the aesthetic of your home and yard. You're not limiting yourself by choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have several choices to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain gives your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a contractor who can guarantee excellent results. The climate in Covington, Virginia poses the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how strong the kind of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Some other advantages of deck staining include stopping pests and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Hire an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get more out of your investment by extending its lifespan.
What steps are followed with professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a tedious process that requires careful preparation and execution to achieve the desired outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface must be cleaned of dirt and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain sticks properly. Surfaces should be sanded or repaired from any damage to provide a consistent application of the stain. The environment around the work area, including pathways and structures, will also need to be blanketed with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional can help you pick the right type of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited for specific wood species and the aesthetic you're trying to achieve. The contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these tools to apply as many coats as are needed for adequate penetration and coverage.
- Drying Time - A contractor will understand the manufacturer's ratings for the type of stain you've selected and how long it will take to dry. It's critical that the deck is not touched and that the weather is acceptable throughout the drying step.
Each of these steps are complex and tedious, but proper execution is vital to ensure a high-quality result. A dependable deck staining professional listed on Thumbtack will have the knowledge and skill to complete the job quickly while delivering your desired appearance and durability.
Can the weather impact my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll get better results when executing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Staining a deck works better when the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm or cold temperatures can affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as too much humidity can extend drying times and raise the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains feature specifications on how long drying should take, and it's required that they remain dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours before any possible showers.
Hire a Deck Staining Professional in Covington, Virginia on Thumbtack and Obtain the Aesthetic and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is worthwhile for updating its appearance and providing long-lasting protection from weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor can handle the challenging task for you, from preparation to application and drying, to guarantee it comes out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a contractor is highly recommended if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or the time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it dries appropriately to secure the wood from water, UV rays, and pests. You will also benefit from the advice that experts can share when it comes to choosing the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is made with to ensure you get the desired look. Although stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, many colors and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
Many homeowners struggle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting gives more variety of colors and styles and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times throughout the years as it chips away under heavy use and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deep into the wood and has pigments to block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mold and insect damage. It will also not need reapplication for a few years if properly cured.
Staining a deck requires attention to detail and careful consideration at every step of the process. Carrying out the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to insufficient protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by turning to an expert who can ensure stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Covington, Virginia and choose the right one matching your needs and budget all in one place on the convenient Thumbtack app.