Find Deck Staining in Fancy Gap, Virginia
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a big variance in advantages between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting have different advantages, so it's important to assess which option most fits your requirements when deciding between them. The two biggest advantages of painting are its extensive variety of colors and enhanced surface shielding. However, paint also demands extensive upkeep because of flaking and fading over time. Conversely, stain does not peel once properly cured, needs minimal effort to maintain, and has more advantages, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely covers the surface, stains penetrate the wood, offering better protection against moisture, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains are mixed with additives that increase durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining and painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to determine which option will be right for you and your home.
Why do so many people say deck staining is a smart investment?
Staining a deck offers several advantages, including enhancing its style, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains are sold in a range of hues and opacities that will help reinvigorate the aesthetic of your house and yard. You're not limiting yourself by choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several choices to complement your home or create a look that stands apart.
The security that stain gives your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a professional who can ensure excellent results. The climate in Fancy Gap, VA is the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how strong the type of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. A few other advantages of deck staining include inhibiting bugs and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Find a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get more from your investment by extending its lifespan.
How long should it take a contractor to complete a deck staining job?
Staining a deck is a detailed project that needs careful preparation and execution to get the desired outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be cleansed of dirt and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain adheres well. Surfaces should be sanded or repaired from any damage to provide a consistent application during the following step. Anything surrounding the work area, like walkways and structures, will also need to be blanketed by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor will help you understand the right kind of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited for particular wood species and the style you want to achieve. The contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these devices to apply as many coats as are required for good penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - The contractor will follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the kind of stain you've selected and how long it takes to cure. It's essential that the deck is not touched and that the weather is acceptable for the curing process.
Each of these steps are complex and time-consuming, but proper execution is necessary to ensure a high-quality result. A dependable deck staining contractor found on Thumbtack will have the experience and skill to complete the job fast while delivering your desired look and durability.
Is there a particular season that's best for deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll get better results when executing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck works best when the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot and cold temperatures will affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as too much humidity will prolong drying times and raise the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have directions on how long curing should take, and it's required that they remain dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling should consider the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any potential showers.
Find a Deck Staining Professional Near Fancy Gap, VA on Thumbtack and Obtain the Aesthetic and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for refreshing its look and delivering unmatched durability against weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor will handle every step, from preparation to application and curing, to make sure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a professional is highly recommended if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries correctly to safeguard the wood from water, UV rays, and pests. You will also benefit from the knowledge that professionals can offer regarding picking the right stain for the type of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired look. Although stain won't offer as much variety as paint, many hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of people wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting provides better variety of colors and styles and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times over the years as it chips away under steady use and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deep into the wood and has pigments that block destructive UV rays and other additives that secure it from mold and insect damage. It will also not need to be reapplied for two to three years if adequately cured.
Staining a deck calls for attention to detail and thoughtful consideration at every step of the project. Executing the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to less protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by turning to an expert who can guarantee excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Fancy Gap, VA and choose the right one suiting your needs and budget easily in one place on the powerful Thumbtack platform.