Find Deck Staining in Floyd, Virginia
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Will painting my deck be a smarter option than staining it?
Deck staining and painting offer their own benefits, so it's essential to analyze which option most fits your requirements when deciding between them. The two biggest benefits of painting are the wider selection of colors and improved surface protection. However, paint also needs extensive maintenance because of peeling and fading over time. Conversely, stain will not peel if properly cured, needs less effort to maintain, and has more benefits, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely covers the surface, stains soak into the wood, offering better defense from moisture, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains contain additives that boost durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining or painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice is best for your needs.
Is staining my deck worth the cost if I hire a professional?
Staining a deck offers many benefits, including enhancing its appearance, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains are sold in a variety of hues and opacities that can help reinvigorate the aesthetic of your home and grounds. You're not limiting yourself when choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many options to complement your home or create a look that stands apart.
The security that stain gives your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a professional who can guarantee excellent results. The climate in Floyd, Virginia is the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how strong the type of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. A few other benefits of deck staining include stopping bugs and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Discover an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
How long could it take a professional to stain my deck according to my vision?
Staining a deck is a multipart process that needs careful preparation and application to get the best results:
- Prep - The deck surface must be scrubbed of dust and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain adheres well. The surface should be sanded or repaired from any damage to facilitate a consistent application of the stain. The environment immediately outside of the work area, like pathways and buildings, will have to be covered by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional can help you select the best kind of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited for particular wood species and the look you're trying to achieve. The contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these tools to put on as many coats as are required for adequate penetration and adhesion.
- Drying Time - The contractor will follow the manufacturer's ratings for the kind of stain you've selected and how long it will take to dry. It's essential that the deck is not used and that the weather is suitable during the drying process.
All of these steps are complex and tedious, but proper execution is vital to ensure the best result. A dependable deck staining professional found on Thumbtack will bring the knowledge and skill to complete the job quickly while achieving the desired appearance and durability.
Which part of the year is suggested for conducting my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll get better results when executing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Staining a deck is better when the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very hot or cold temperatures can affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as too much moisture can prolong drying times and heighten the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have directions on how long drying should take, and it's essential that it stays dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any potential showers.
Discover a Deck Staining Professional in Floyd, Virginia on Thumbtack and Get the Look and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is worthwhile for revitalizing its appearance and delivering unmatched durability against the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor can handle the difficult task for you, from prep to application and drying, to ensure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a professional is highly advised if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to protect the wood from water, sun, and pests. You can also benefit from the knowledge that professionals can offer when it comes to selecting the right stain for the type of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. While stain won't offer as many style options as paint, a lot of hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
Many people wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting offers more versatility in colors and styles and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times over the years as it flakes away beneath constant foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deep into the wood and contains pigments that block destructive UV rays and other additives that protect it from rot and insect damage. Stain also won't need reapplication for a few years if properly cured.
Staining a deck demands a practiced hand and careful consideration at every step of the process. Executing the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in less protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by enlisting a pro who can promise stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Floyd, Virginia and choose the best one matching your vision and budget easily in one place with the powerful Thumbtack app.