Find a Cabinet Painter in Hampton, Virginia
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
What kind of paint is used on cabinets?
A commonly asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used on walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint generally used for home walls will face some difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them their elegant aesthetic. Common wall paints may not adhere properly to cabinets and can begin to chip and flake off prematurely. The kind of paint contractors utilize for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also necessitates longer time to dry and cure than those usually used on walls.
How do I determine if I've chosen the right cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painters to find the best one for your specifications and vision requires a substantial amount of work. A good place to start is by understanding precisely what look you're trying to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view samples of their previous work aligning with your vision beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and skill. Dependable contractors would be pleased to grant this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You should have a set budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate largely. Make sure that any professional you hire provides documentation of all equipment and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's expected completion. The last thing you need is for any surprises to pop up after the project has started that can raise costs higher than you planned for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reliability by checking any online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from past customers for view online, and these are also a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and within budget.
Should I simply paint over my kitchen cabinets?
It's always tempting to quickly begin dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming project when doing it on your own, but an expert can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life starting with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt or grease are thoroughly removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and their components, like drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products today which contractors use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also reach those places that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in some cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as allowing for better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only peel off and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
How do you estimate the price for cabinet painting?
There are several things that play into the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Hampton, VA, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's suggested to first obtain quotes from various contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters may charge you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The painter must recoup the price of materials if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with a gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job completed.
You'll need to discuss your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Hire a Cabinet Painter Near Hampton, VA Who Will Bring Your Ideas to Reality
A quick way to boost the value of your home and refresh the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a more affordable option over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and provide an updated look that will suit your evolving tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painter in Hampton, VA varies, but some homeowners have reported spending as much as three times less on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects like the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painting contractors to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the environment when you decide to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for logging. Your current cabinets may be in fair enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll love.
While searching for the perfect cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and specifications, you should evaluate their client reviews, portfolio of past work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable painter will be willing to show you their history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you understand precisely what to expect when the job is finished. Find all the information needed to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Hampton, VA confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.