Find a Cabinet Painter in Hustle, Virginia
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Should I use the same paint on my walls to renew the look of my cabinets?
A commonly asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint usually used for home walls will face many difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them that sleek appearance. Common wall paints will not adhere sufficiently to cabinets and can begin chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals use for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also requires extended drying and curing times than those generally used on walls.
How can I pick a cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to discover the most suitable one for your needs and vision requires a substantial amount of consideration. A good place to begin is by knowing exactly what look you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view samples of their previous work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and ability. Professional contractors will be more than happy to grant this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You should have a set budget worked out when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate largely. Ensure that any contractor you consider provides documentation of all material and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the process about it's timeline. What you don't want is for unexpected surprises to pop up once the project begins that can raise costs higher than you planned for.
Give attention to the professional's reputation by evaluating their online client reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from previous clients for view online, and these can be a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and on budget.
Should I simply paint over my present cabinets?
It's may be tempting to quickly begin dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming task when attempting it on your own, but a professional can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life starting with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt or grime are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and its hardware, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products that professionals use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also reach any edges that are exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in some cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as facilitating better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only chip away and require repainting sooner than expected.
How much will it cost to paint my current cabinets?
There are many things that play into the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Hustle, Virginia, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first obtain quotes from several professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters may bill you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The contractor must recoup the cost of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints used in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon usually being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the project performed.
You'll want to discuss your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Find a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Hustle, Virginia to Bring Your Ideas to Life
A quick way to increase the value of your property and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a cost-effective alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and deliver a new look that will match your current style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter in Hustle, Virginia fluctuates, but many homeowners have reported spending as much as three times less on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, aspects like the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. You should first come up with a budget and then inquire several different painters to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the environment when you opt to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your existing cabinets might be in decent enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll love.
While looking for the perfect cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and needs, you should evaluate their client reviews, gallery of previous work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A reliable contractor will be happy to share their history of executing projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you understand exactly what to expect when the job is finished. Locate all the information needed to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter in Hustle, Virginia confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.