Find a Cabinet Painter in Linville, Virginia
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will I be limited to the kind of paint I can put on my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used with walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for home walls will encounter many challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them their elegant look. Common wall paints will not stick sufficiently to cabinets and can begin chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals use for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also requires extended time to dry and cure than those generally applied to walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor do for my job?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to discover the best one for your needs and vision takes a substantial amount of work. A good place to focus on is by understanding precisely what look you're trying to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view samples of their prior work similar to your vision beforehand to get a feel for their experience and skill. Dependable contractors would be pleased to accommodate this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You should have a defined budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate significantly. Check that any contractor you consider gives written statements of all material and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication during the project about it's expected completion. The last thing you want is for any surprises to pop up after the project has started that will raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Give attention to the professional's reputation by checking any online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from previous clients for view online, and these are also a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and within budget.
Is the long prep stage necessary when painting my cabinets?
It's always tempting to immediately begin painting and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming task when doing it alone, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to life beginning with the most common prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that all dirt or grime are completely cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning stage is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and their hardware, like doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable leaps, and there are products today which professionals use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also reach those nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in some cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only peel away and require repainting sooner than expected.
What things are considered when it comes to establishing cost for painting cabinets?
There are several things that play into the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Linville, VA, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's suggested to first obtain quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors may bill you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your painter will need to recoup the cost of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with one gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the job performed.
You'll want to talk about your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Refresh Your Cabinets for Less With a Professional Cabinet Painter Near Linville, VA
A quick way to enhance the value of your property and refresh the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and deliver an updated look that will suit your current style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Linville, VA fluctuates, but many customers have reported spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, aspects like the kind of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then ask around among several different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the planet when you opt to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing process of wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your existing cabinets may be in good enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
While looking for the perfect cabinet painting professional matching your budget and needs, you should look at their client reviews, portfolio of previous work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable painter will be happy to show you their history of past projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand precisely what to expect when the project is finished. Find all important information needed to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter in Linville, VA confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.