Find Deck Staining in Newport News, Virginia
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a specific time of year that's best for deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance job and you'll achieve the best results when executing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck is best when the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm and colder temperatures will affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as excessive humidity will extend drying times and heighten the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with specifications on how long drying will take, and it's required that it stays dry during this period. Your project's scheduling should consider the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours before any possible showers.
What prep needs to be performed before staining a deck?
Detailed preparation of the deck and the surrounding environment must be performed to ensure a good finish. Vegetation should be cut, and nearby walkways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of the deck might need to be cleaned or sanded to allow good penetration and sticking.
Choosing the best stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires some consideration, including aspects such as:
- Species of Wood - Some types of wood will benefit more from certain stains that will offer your deck a better look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks varies from transparent to solid, with solid typically providing superior protection from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck is known for low durability, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its hue and opacity to accentuate or stand out from the look of your home and yard.
Would painting my deck be a smarter option than staining it?
Deck staining and painting offer their own benefits, so it's essential to analyze which option most meets your needs when deciding between the two. The two biggest benefits of painting are its wider variety of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also needs more maintenance because of chipping and fading over time. Conversely, stain does not peel once properly dried, needs less effort to care for, and has other benefits, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which only sits on the surface, stains soak into the wood, delivering a deep layer of protection from water, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains are mixed with additives that enhance durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the advantages of deck staining and painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice is best for you and your home.
Will staining my deck help safeguard it from climate-related damage?
Staining a deck offers several benefits, including enhancing its appearance, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains are available in a range of hues and opacities that will help reinvigorate the look of your home and yard. You're not as limited as you might suppose when picking deck staining over painting, as you still have several options to accentuate your home or create a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain gives your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a contractor to guarantee excellent results. The weather in Newport News, VA poses the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how durable the type of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. A few other benefits of deck staining include keeping out insects and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Hire a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get more out of your investment by extending its lifespan.
Hire a Deck Staining Professional Near Newport News, VA on Thumbtack and Obtain the Aesthetic and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is worthwhile for revitalizing its look and providing unmatched protection from weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor will handle every step, from preparation to application and drying, to guarantee it turns out the way you expected.
Hiring a contractor is highly advised if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries correctly to secure the wood from water, sun, and pests. You will also benefit from the advice that contractors can share when it comes to choosing the right stain for the type of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired look. Although stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, a lot of hues and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
Many homeowners wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting provides better variety of colors and aesthetics and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times over the years as it peels away beneath steady foot traffic and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and has pigments that block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mildew and insect damage. It will also not need reapplication for two to three years if adequately dried.
Staining a deck demands attention to detail and thoughtful consideration through every step of the process. Conducting the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in less protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by enlisting a professional who can deliver excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Newport News, VA and choose the best one matching your needs and budget easily in one place on the convenient Thumbtack platform.