Find Deck Staining in Poquoson, Virginia
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Will painting my deck be a better choice than staining it?
Deck staining and painting offer their own advantages, so it's essential to consider which option best meets your requirements when deciding between the two. The two biggest advantages of painting are its extensive selection of colors and improved surface shielding. However, paint also demands extensive maintenance due to chipping and fading relatively fast. Conversely, stain does not peel once properly dried, needs minimal effort to maintain, and has more advantages, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely sits on the surface, stains penetrate the wood, delivering a deep layer of protection against moisture, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains have additives that boost durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the benefits of deck staining and painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice is best for you and your home.
Can staining my deck deliver any protection from the weather?
Staining a deck comes with many advantages, such as enhancing its style, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains come in a range of colors and opacities that can help re-energize the aesthetic of your house and grounds. You're not limiting yourself by picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many options to complement your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The security that stain gives your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a contractor to ensure excellent results. The weather in Poquoson, VA is the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how durable the type of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Some other advantages of deck staining include stopping pests and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Hire an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get the most from your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
What steps are involved with professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a multipart process that needs careful preparation and application to achieve the best results:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be cleansed of dirt and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain adheres properly. The surface may also need to be sanded or repaired of any damage to provide a smooth application of the stain. Anything immediately outside of the work area, like walkways and structures, will also need to be blanketed by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional can help you pick the best type of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited for particular wood species and the look you want to achieve. The contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these tools to put on as many coats as are needed for good penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - A contractor will understand the manufacturer's recommendations for the type of stain you've chosen and how long it takes to cure. It's important that the deck is not touched and that the weather is acceptable during the drying step.
Each of these steps are complex and tedious, but proper execution is necessary to ensure the best result. A reliable deck staining professional found on Thumbtack will have the knowledge and skill to complete the job fast while achieving the desired appearance and durability.
Is there a certain time of year that's better for deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll achieve better results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to any deck is better while the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm and colder temperatures can negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as too much moisture can prolong drying times and increase the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with specifications on how long drying should take, and it's essential that they remain dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling should consider the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
Hire a Deck Staining Professional in Poquoson, VA on Thumbtack and Obtain the Look and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for revitalizing its appearance and delivering unmatched protection against the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to make sure it turns out the way you expected.
Hiring a contractor is highly advised if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it dries appropriately to safeguard the wood from moisture, UV rays, and pests. You can also benefit from the knowledge that experts can offer regarding picking the right stain for the type of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired look. Although stain won't offer as many style options as paint, many colors and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of people wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting provides more variety of colors and styles and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times over the years as it chips away under steady use and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deeper into the wood and has pigments to block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from mold and insect damage. Stain also won't need reapplication for two to three years so long as it's been adequately dried.
Staining any deck requires a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration through every step of the process. Carrying out the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to insufficient protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by turning to a professional who can promise stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Poquoson, VA and choose the best one matching your needs and budget easily in one place on the convenient Thumbtack platform.