Find a Cabinet Painter in Rawlings, Virginia
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Does it matter what type of paint I pick for my cabinets?
An often asked question is about the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used with walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for home walls will face some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them that elegant aesthetic. Typical wall paints will not adhere adequately to cabinets and can start chipping or flaking away prematurely. The type of paint professionals choose for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also necessitates longer drying and curing times than those generally applied to walls.
Is it difficult to find an experienced cabinet painting contractor?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to find the best one for your specifications and style requires a substantial amount of consideration. The first place to start is by knowing exactly what style you're trying to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view a sample of their previous work similar to your vision beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Dependable contractors will be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You need to have a set budget worked out while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate largely. Ensure that any professional you consider provides documentation of all equipment and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's timeline. The last thing you need is for any surprises to pop up once the project has started that will raise costs higher than you planned for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reliability by assessing their online client reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from past clients for view online, and these can be an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and on budget.
Is the challenging prep phase a necessity before painting my cabinets?
It's always tempting to immediately start painting and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming task when attempting it on your own, but a professional will quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality starting with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt and grime are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also a good time to take apart the cabinets and its gear, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable leaps, and there are products today which professionals use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also penetrate to any nooks and crannies that are exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in most cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as enabling better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only chip off and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
Will it be expensive to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are many factors that play into the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Rawlings, Virginia, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first seek out quotes from several professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters could bill you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: The contractor will have to recoup the price of materials unless you're providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints utilized with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with a gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job finished.
You'll need to discuss your kitchen's unique cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Refresh Your Cabinets for Less With a Professional Cabinet Painter in Rawlings, Virginia
A smart way to enhance the value of your home and update the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of wear and tear and give them an updated look that will suit your evolving style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor around Rawlings, Virginia fluctuates, but some customers have reported spending as much as three times less on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, factors like the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then inquire several different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also benefits for the world when you decide to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing process of wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your existing cabinets might be in fair enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
When looking for the perfect cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and specifications, you should analyze their client reviews, gallery of past work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be happy to share their history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you know exactly what to expect when the project is complete. Locate all the information you need to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter near Rawlings, Virginia confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.