Find a Cabinet Painter in Rich Creek, Virginia
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Am I limited by the type of paint I can put on my cabinets?
A frequently asked question is about the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used with walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the type of paint usually used for interior walls will encounter some challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their sleek look. Common wall paints will not adhere adequately to cabinets and can start to chip and flake away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals utilize for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also requires longer time to dry and cure than those typically applied to walls.
How do I find the right painting contractor?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to uncover the best one for your specifications and style requires a substantial amount of work. A good place to focus on is by understanding precisely what style you want to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view a sample of their past work similar to your vision beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and skill. Trustworthy contractors will be pleased to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a defined budget worked out while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate widely. Make sure that any professional you consider gives documentation of all material and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication during the project about it's timeline. What you don't need is for unexpected surprises to occur once the project commences that will raise costs higher than you planned for.
Give attention to the professional's reputation by evaluating any online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from past clients for view online, and these are also a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Could I get away with painting my cabinets without sanding?
It's always enticing to immediately start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming project when doing it alone, but a professional will quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality starting with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that any dirt and grease are fully removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning step is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and its gear, like drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products that professionals use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also penetrate to those nooks and crannies that are exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in most cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as facilitating better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only flake away and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
How much will I have to pay to paint my present cabinets?
There are many factors that play into the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Rich Creek, VA, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's suggested to first seek out quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors could charge you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: Your contractor must recoup the price of materials unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used in cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with one gallon typically being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job performed.
You'll need to talk about your kitchen's unique cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Refresh Your Home for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter in Rich Creek, VA
A quick way to increase the value of your house and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of heavy use and provide a new look that will match your evolving style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painter in Rich Creek, VA varies, but some customers still report spending less than a third on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your area, factors such as the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. You should start by coming up with a budget and then inquire several different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the world when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process with wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your existing cabinets may be in good enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
When searching for the perfect cabinet painting professional matching your budget and specifications, you should analyze their customer reviews, portfolio of past work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be happy to show you a history of executing projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you know precisely what to expect when the job is complete. Locate all important information you need to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter near Rich Creek, VA confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.