Find a Cabinet Painter in Shipman, Virginia
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Does it matter what kind of paint I choose for my cabinets?
A frequently asked question is about the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used for walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for home walls will face some challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their elegant appearance. Common wall paints might not stick adequately to cabinets and can begin chipping or flaking off prematurely. The kind of paint contractors use for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires longer drying and curing times than those usually applied to walls.
Which qualities do I look for from a reliable cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to find the perfect one for your specifications and style requires a substantial amount of effort. A good place to start is by knowing precisely what aesthetic you want to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see samples of their past work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and ability. Trustworthy contractors will be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a defined budget worked out when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate significantly. Ensure that any professional you consider provides documentation of all material and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's expected completion. The last thing you want is for any surprises to occur after the project has started that will raise costs above what you planned for.
Give attention to the contractor's reliability by evaluating their online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from previous customers for view online, and these can be an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and on budget.
Can I simply paint over my existing cabinets?
It's always enticing to immediately begin dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but an expert will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life beginning with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt and grease are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and its components, like drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products today which contractors use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also penetrate to any nooks and crannies that are exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in many cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as allowing for better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only peel off and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
How much will it cost to paint my existing cabinets?
There are many things that affect the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. In Shipman, Virginia, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's advised to first seek out quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors might bill you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The painter will need to recoup the price of materials unless you're providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints utilized with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with a gallon usually being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job performed.
You'll want to discuss your home's unique cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Discover a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Shipman, Virginia to Bring Your Vision to Life
A quick way to enhance the value of your home and update the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of heavy use and give them an updated look that will suit your current style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Shipman, Virginia varies, but some customers still report spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the variation in labor rates of different contractors in your area, factors such as the variety of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. You should start by coming up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the planet when you decide to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing process with wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your existing cabinets could be in good enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll love.
When hunting for the right cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and specifications, you should look at their customer reviews, portfolio of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A dependable painter will be willing to show you their history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you know precisely what to expect when the job is complete. Discover all important information needed to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter in Shipman, Virginia confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.