Find a Cabinet Painter in Weems, Virginia
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
What variety of paint do you use on cabinets?
An often asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used with walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint generally used for home walls will encounter some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them that modern appearance. Common wall paints will not adhere sufficiently to cabinets and can begin to chip and flake off prematurely. The kind of paint professionals choose for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also requires extended time to dry and cure than those generally applied to walls.
Is it hard to find a good cabinet painting contractor?
Comparing cabinet painters to discover the most suitable one for your specifications and style requires a substantial amount of work. The first place to focus on is by knowing exactly what aesthetic you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view samples of their previous work similar to your vision beforehand to get a sense of their experience and ability. Trustworthy contractors will be pleased to accommodate this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a set budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate widely. Check that any contractor you consider gives documentation of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication during the process about it's timeline. What you don't need is for any surprises to pop up once the project begins that will raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's dependability by evaluating their online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from previous clients available online, and these can be an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and on budget.
Can I simply paint over my existing cabinets?
It's always tempting to quickly begin painting and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming task when doing it alone, but a professional will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality starting with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt or grease are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning step is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and its components, like doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products today which professionals use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also reach any edges that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in many cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only flake off and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
Will it be costly to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are many things that play into the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. In Weems, Virginia, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's advised to first obtain quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors may bill you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your painter must recoup the price of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used with cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with a gallon usually being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the project completed.
You'll need to talk about your kitchen's particular cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Find a Cabinet Painter Near Weems, Virginia Who Will Bring Your Ideas to Life
An exceptional way to boost the value of your house and update the look of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also requires less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of wear and tear and provide an updated look that will match your evolving style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor around Weems, Virginia fluctuates, but some homeowners still report spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates of different contractors in your location, aspects such as the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. You should start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painters to discover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also advantages for the world when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing methods of wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your current cabinets could be in decent enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
When looking for the best cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and specifications, you should look at their client reviews, portfolio of previous work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A reliable painter will be happy to share their history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you know exactly what to expect when the project is complete. Discover all important information you need to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter in Weems, Virginia confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.