Find a Cabinet Painter in Woodlawn, Virginia
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will I be restricted by the kind of paint I can use for my cabinets?
A commonly asked question pertains to the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used on walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the variety of paint generally used for interior walls will face some difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them that sleek look. Typical wall paints might not stick sufficiently to cabinets and can start to chip and flake off prematurely. The type of paint contractors choose for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also necessitates extended drying and curing times than those typically applied to walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor suffice for my job?
Vetting cabinet painters to uncover the most suitable one for your specifications and vision requires a substantial amount of consideration. The first place to begin is by understanding exactly what look you want to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view a sample of their previous work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to get a feel for their experience and skill. Dependable contractors would be pleased to accommodate this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You should have a defined budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate significantly. Ensure that any professional you hire gives documentation of all material and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication during the process about it's timeline. What you don't want is for unexpected surprises to pop up after the project has started that can raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's dependability by assessing their online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from past clients available online, and these can be an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and on budget.
Is it really crucial to prime or sand cabinets before painting?
It's always tempting to quickly start painting and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming project when doing it alone, but an expert can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life starting with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt or grime are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also an appropriate time to disassemble the cabinets and its gear, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great advancements, and there are products that contractors use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also penetrate to those places that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in many cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as enabling better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only chip away and require repainting sooner than expected.
How much will it cost to paint my kitchen cabinets?
There are many factors that play into the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. In Woodlawn, VA, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's recommended to first obtain quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors may charge you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: Your contractor must recoup the price of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with one gallon usually being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the job completed.
You'll want to discuss your home's specific cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Update Your Home for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter in Woodlawn, VA
A smart way to boost the appeal of your home and update the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also requires less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and provide a new look that will suit your current tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painter in Woodlawn, VA varies, but some customers have reported spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects like the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among several different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also advantages for the environment when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing methods of wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your existing cabinets could be in decent enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
While looking for the right cabinet painting professional matching your budget and specifications, you should look at their customer reviews, portfolio of past work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A dependable contractor will be happy to show you their history of executing projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you understand exactly what to expect when the project is finished. Locate all the information necessary to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter near Woodlawn, VA easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.