Find a Cabinet Painter in Barnard, Vermont
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there a distinction between cabinet paint and regular paint?
An often asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for interior walls will face some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them their sophisticated aesthetic. Typical wall paints might not adhere properly to cabinets and can start chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint contractors use for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also needs longer time to dry and cure than those generally used on walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor suffice for my job?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to discover the perfect one for your specifications and style takes a substantial amount of effort. A good place to focus on is by knowing exactly what look you're trying to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view a sample of their past work matching your vision beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Professional contractors would be more than happy to grant this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a set budget worked out when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate widely. Check that any painter you hire provides written statements of all equipment and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the project about it's timeline. What you don't need is for any surprises to pop up once the project commences that can raise costs above what you planned for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reliability by checking their online client reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from past customers for view online, and these are also a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and on budget.
Should I simply paint over my kitchen cabinets?
It's may be enticing to quickly start dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming project when doing it alone, but a professional can quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality starting with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that any dirt and grime are fully removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also a good time to take apart the cabinets and its hardware, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great advancements, and there are products that contractors use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also penetrate to those nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in many cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as facilitating better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only chip away and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
What is the usual cost of an experienced cabinet painting contractor?
There are several things that affect the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. Around Barnard, Vermont, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's advised to first seek out quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters may charge you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your painter must recoup the cost of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints utilized in cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with a gallon typically being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the job performed.
You'll need to talk about your home's specific cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Refresh Your Cabinets for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter Near Barnard, Vermont
An exceptional way to enhance the value of your house and update the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a cost-effective choice over expensive replacements that also requires less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of heavy use and provide a new look that will suit your evolving style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor around Barnard, Vermont varies, but some homeowners still report spending as much as three times less on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your area, factors such as the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painting contractors to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the world when you decide to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing methods of wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for logging. Your existing cabinets might be in good enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll love.
While looking for the best cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and specifications, you should look at their client reviews, portfolio of past work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A dependable painter will be happy to share their history of executing projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you know exactly what to expect when the job is complete. Locate all the information you need to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter in Barnard, Vermont easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.