Find Deck Staining in Jericho, Vermont
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
How will certain factors affect the cost of hiring a professional for deck staining?
Several factors can influence the cost of professional deck staining services, but square footage and the current condition of the deck will have the most significant impact. Contractors will give an estimate based on the size of the deck, but this price will go up if extensive prep or repairs need to be conducted before application.
The brand of stain you select for the project will be calculated into the final price, and high-end products featuring better UV protection and water resistance will be more expensive. Keep in mind that how hard your deck is to reach or work around might lead to higher labor costs from your contractor. Any extra services requested, such as sealing, waterproofing, or applying multiple coats of stain, can also increase the final costs.
When looking for professional deck staining contractors, it's important to get multiple quotes, carefully review the services' details, and ensure the contractor gives clear communication about scheduling. Residents of Jericho, VT can discover all this information to make informed decisions and get the most suitable contractor for deck staining on Thumbtack.
How long can I expect a professional to take when deck staining?
Staining a deck is a multistage process that requires careful preparation and execution to achieve the desired results:
- Prep - The deck surface must be cleansed of dust and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain sticks well. Surfaces may also need to be sanded or repaired from any damage to enable a consistent application of the stain. Anything around the work area, such as walkways and structures, will also need to be protected with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor can help you understand the best kind of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited to specific wood species and the aesthetic you're trying to achieve. The contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these tools to apply as many coats as are needed for good penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - A contractor will understand the manufacturer's ratings for the kind of stain you've selected and how long it takes to dry. It's crucial that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is suitable throughout the drying process.
All of these steps are complex and tedious, but performing them correctly is necessary to ensure a high-quality result. A dependable deck staining contractor listed on Thumbtack will have the knowledge and skill to finish the job fast while achieving the desired look and durability.
Will the weather ruin my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance job and you'll get the best results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining any deck works better when the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very hot or cold temperatures can negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as too much humidity can extend drying times and raise the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with specifications on how long drying will take, and it's essential that it remains dry during this period. Your project's scheduling must take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours before any possible showers.
What prep should be performed before staining my deck?
Detailed prep of the deck and the surrounding environment must be performed to guarantee a good finish. Vegetation should be cut, and nearby walkways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on the deck might need to be cleaned or sanded to facilitate good penetration and adhesion.
Picking the best stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects such as:
- Species of Wood - Some types of wood will benefit more from certain stains that will offer your deck a better aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from clear to solid, with solid usually delivering superior protection from water and UV rays. If your wood species has low durability, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its hue and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the look of your house and lawn.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor Near Jericho, VT on Thumbtack and Get the Style and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is great for refreshing its look and delivering long-lasting protection against weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor can handle the difficult task for you, from preparation to application and drying, to guarantee it comes out the way you expected.
Enlisting a professional is highly recommended if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to protect the wood from water, sun, and pests. You will also benefit from the advice that contractors can offer when it comes to choosing the right stain for the species of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. While stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, many hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of homeowners wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting has more versatility in colors and styles and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times throughout the years as it flakes away beneath heavy use and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deep into the wood and carries pigments to block destructive UV rays and other additives that secure it from mold and insect damage. Stain also doesn't need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been adequately cured.
Staining any deck requires attention to detail and thoughtful consideration at every step of the process. Carrying out the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in insufficient protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by enlisting a pro who can promise stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Jericho, VT and choose the best one matching your vision and budget all in one place with the convenient Thumbtack platform.