Find a Cabinet Painter in Newbury, Vermont
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Can I use the same paint on my walls to refresh the look of my cabinets?
A commonly asked question is about the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used with walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for home walls will encounter many difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them their elegant look. Typical wall paints will not stick sufficiently to cabinets or start to chip and flake off prematurely. The type of paint contractors use for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires extended drying and curing times than those typically applied to walls.
How can I choose the right painting contractor?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to uncover the most suitable one for your specifications and style requires a substantial amount of effort. The first place to focus on is by knowing exactly what look you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see samples of their prior work matching your vision beforehand to get a sense of their experience and skill. Professional contractors would be pleased to grant this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a defined budget in mind when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate widely. Check that any professional you hire gives documentation of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication during the process about it's expected completion. The last thing you want is for any surprises to pop up once the project commences that can raise costs higher than you planned for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reputation by checking their online client reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from previous clients available online, and these are also a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and on budget.
Can I simply paint over my home's cabinets?
It's always tempting to immediately start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming task when doing it on your own, but a professional can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality beginning with the most common prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that all dirt or grime are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning step is also a good time to take apart the cabinets and its hardware, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products that contractors use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach any nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in most cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only peel away and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
What is the average price of a professional cabinet painter?
There are many things that affect the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. Around Newbury, VT, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first obtain quotes from various contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors might charge you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: Your contractor will need to recoup the cost of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon usually being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the project completed.
You'll want to talk about your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Update Your Cabinets for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter Near Newbury, VT
A smart way to increase the appeal of your house and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of wear and tear and provide a new look that will suit your current tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter around Newbury, VT fluctuates, but many customers have reported spending less than a third on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, aspects like the variety of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. You should first come up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to discover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the planet when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your existing cabinets might be in good enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
When hunting for the perfect cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and specifications, you should look at their client reviews, gallery of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A dependable contractor will be willing to show you a history of executing projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the job is finished. Find all important information necessary to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Newbury, VT confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.