Find a Cabinet Painter in Shaftsbury, Vermont
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there any distinction with cabinet paint and wall paint?
An often asked question pertains to the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used for walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint generally used for home walls will face some challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them that sophisticated appearance. Common wall paints may not adhere sufficiently to cabinets and can start to chip and flake away prematurely. The type of paint contractors choose for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also needs longer drying and curing times than those typically applied to walls.
How do I choose a cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to uncover the most suitable one for your needs and vision takes a substantial amount of consideration. The best place to focus on is by understanding exactly what aesthetic you're trying to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see a sample of their past work matching your vision beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and skill. Reliable contractors will be pleased to grant this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a defined budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate significantly. Make sure that any contractor you hire provides written statements of all material and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the process about it's expected completion. What you don't want is for any surprises to pop up once the project commences that can raise costs above what you planned for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reliability by evaluating their online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from previous clients available online, and these are also a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and on budget.
Is it really crucial to prime and sand cabinets prior to painting?
It's may be tempting to immediately start dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but a professional can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life beginning with the most common prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt and grease are completely removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and their gear, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great advancements, and there are products today which contractors use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach any nooks and crannies that are exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in most cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only peel off and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
How do you estimate the price for cabinet painting?
There are many things that affect the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. In Shaftsbury, VT, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first seek out quotes from various contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors may charge you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The contractor will need to recoup the price of materials unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints used with cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with one gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the job performed.
You'll want to talk about your kitchen's particular cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Hire a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Shaftsbury, VT to Bring Your Vision to Reality
A quick way to boost the value of your home and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a cost-efficient alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and deliver a new look that will suit your evolving tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painter in Shaftsbury, VT varies, but some homeowners have reported spending as much as three times less on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates of different contractors in your area, aspects like the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the planet when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing methods with wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for logging. Your present cabinets may be in fair enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While looking for the right cabinet painting professional matching your budget and needs, you should look at their client reviews, gallery of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be happy to share a history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the job is finished. Discover all the information you need to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter near Shaftsbury, VT confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.