Find Deck Staining in Stowe, Vermont
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Should I stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting have unique benefits, so it's important to assess which option most suits your needs when deciding between them. The two biggest benefits of painting are the extensive selection of colors and improved surface protection. However, paint also needs extensive upkeep because of peeling and fading over time. On the other hand, stain does not peel once properly dried, requires less effort to maintain, and has other benefits, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely covers the surface, stains soak into the wood, delivering better defense from moisture, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains are mixed with additives that enhance durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the advantages of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice will be right for you and your home.
Why do I hear so many homeowners say deck staining is a wise investment?
Staining a deck comes with several advantages, such as enhancing its style, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a range of hues and opacities that will help re-energize the look of your home and grounds. You're not as limited as you might suppose when choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have several options to complement your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The security that stain offers your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a contractor who can ensure excellent results. The weather in Stowe, VT is the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how durable the type of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Examples of other advantages of deck staining include keeping out pests and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Hire an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get more from your investment by extending its lifespan.
What steps are followed with professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a tedious project that requires careful preparation and application to obtain the desired outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be scrubbed of dirt and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain sticks properly. Surfaces may also need to be sanded or repaired of any damage to provide a smooth application during the following step. The environment around the work area, such as pathways and structures, will also need to be protected by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional will help you pick the right type of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited to specific wood species and the aesthetic you want to achieve. Your contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these devices to apply as many coats as are required for good penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - Your contractor will follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the type of stain you've selected and how long it will take to dry. It's critical that the deck is not used and that the weather is fitting during the drying process.
All of these steps are complex and tedious, but performing them correctly is vital to ensure a high-quality result. A dependable deck staining professional found on Thumbtack will bring the knowledge and skill to complete the job quickly while achieving the desired look and durability.
Will the weather ruin my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance task and you'll achieve better results when conducting it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to any deck is better while the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot or cold temperatures will affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as too much moisture will extend drying times and heighten the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have specifications on how long drying will take, and it's required that they remain dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
Hire a Deck Staining Professional Near Stowe, VT on Thumbtack and Obtain the Look and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is worthwhile for refreshing its look and providing long-lasting durability from the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor will handle the challenging task for you, from prep to application and drying, to make sure it comes out the way you expected.
Enlisting a contractor is highly advised if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to safeguard the wood from moisture, sun, and insects. You can also benefit from the advice that contractors can offer when it comes to choosing the right stain for the type of wood your deck is made with to ensure you get the desired look. While stain cannot offer as many style options as paint, many hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of homeowners wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting offers more versatility in colors and looks and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times over the years as it peels away beneath frequent foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deep into the wood and has pigments that block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mildew and insect damage. Stain also doesn't need to be reapplied for a few years if properly dried.
Staining any deck calls for a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration for every step of the project. Conducting the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in insufficient protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by hiring a pro who can promise stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Stowe, VT and choose the right one matching your vision and budget all in one place on the powerful Thumbtack app.