Find a Cabinet Painter in Vernon, Vermont
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will it matter what type of paint I use for my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used for walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the kind of paint generally used for interior walls will encounter some challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their sleek aesthetic. Typical wall paints may not stick properly to cabinets or start chipping or flaking off prematurely. The type of paint professionals utilize for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates longer time to dry and cure than those generally applied to walls.
How will I determine if I've chosen the right cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painters to discover the most suitable one for your needs and style requires a substantial amount of consideration. The first place to focus on is by understanding exactly what style you're trying to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see samples of their prior work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and skill. Professional contractors will be more than happy to grant this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You should have a defined budget worked out while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate largely. Ensure that any painter you hire provides documentation of all material and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the process about it's expected completion. The last thing you want is for unexpected surprises to pop up after the project begins that will raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reputation by evaluating their online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from past clients for view online, and these are also a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and on budget.
Should I paint my cabinets before sanding?
It's may be enticing to immediately start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but a professional will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality beginning with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that all dirt or grime are completely cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also an appropriate time to take apart the cabinets and its gear, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products that professionals use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also penetrate to any nooks and crannies that are exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in most cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only chip off and require repainting sooner than expected.
Is it costly to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are several things that play into the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. Around Vernon, VT, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's suggested to first obtain quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters could bill you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your painter must recoup the cost of materials if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with a gallon usually being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the project performed.
You'll want to talk about your kitchen's particular cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Choose a Cabinet Painter in Vernon, VT Who Will Bring Your Vision to Reality
A quick way to boost the value of your house and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and provide an updated look that will suit your evolving style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter near Vernon, VT varies, but some customers still report spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, factors like the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. You should first come up with a budget and then inquire several different painting contractors to discover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also advantages for the world when you opt to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your current cabinets may be in decent enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While looking for the right cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and needs, you should look at their customer reviews, gallery of past work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable painter will be willing to show you their history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you know exactly what to expect when the project is finished. Discover all the information needed to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Vernon, VT easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.