Find a Cabinet Painter in Woodstock, Vermont
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there a distinction with cabinet paint and regular paint?
An often asked question pertains to the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used with walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the variety of paint usually used for home walls will face some challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them that elegant look. Common wall paints will not stick adequately to cabinets or start chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals utilize for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also needs longer time to dry and cure than those typically used on walls.
How can I pick the right painting contractor?
Vetting cabinet painters to uncover the best one for your specifications and style takes a substantial amount of work. The first place to focus on is by knowing exactly what style you're trying to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view samples of their past work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to get a sense of their experience and ability. Dependable contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a defined budget worked out while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate largely. Make sure that any professional you consider gives documentation of all material and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's expected completion. The last thing you want is for unexpected surprises to pop up once the project has started that will raise costs higher than you planned for.
Give attention to the professional's reputation by assessing any online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from previous clients available online, and these are also an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and on budget.
Is it really crucial to prime or sand cabinets prior to painting?
It's may be enticing to quickly start dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming project when attempting it alone, but a professional will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life beginning with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt or grease are fully removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and its hardware, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable leaps, and there are products that professionals use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also reach any edges that are exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in some cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as enabling better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only chip off and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
What is the usual cost for a professional cabinet painting contractor?
There are many things that affect the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Woodstock, Vermont, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's suggested to first obtain quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters might bill you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your contractor must recoup the cost of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with a gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the project completed.
You'll want to talk about your home's specific cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Hire a Cabinet Painting Contractor Near Woodstock, Vermont to Bring Your Ideas to Life
A smart way to enhance the value of your home and update the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a cost-effective option over expensive replacements that also requires less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and deliver a new look that will suit your evolving tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Woodstock, Vermont varies, but some customers still report spending less than a third on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your area, factors like the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. You should first come up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painters to discover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the environment when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your current cabinets may be in fair enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
While looking for the best cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and specifications, you should look at their customer reviews, gallery of previous work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A dependable contractor will be willing to show you a history of executing projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the project is complete. Discover all important information you need to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter in Woodstock, Vermont confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.