Find a Cabinet Painter in Albany, Wisconsin
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Can I use the same paint on my walls to renew the appearance of my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for home walls will encounter many challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them that elegant appearance. Typical wall paints will not stick properly to cabinets or start to chip and flake away prematurely. The type of paint contractors use for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires longer time to dry and cure than those usually applied to walls.
How can I know I've chosen the right cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to uncover the most suitable one for your specifications and vision takes a substantial amount of effort. The first place to focus on is by understanding precisely what style you're trying to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view a sample of their prior work matching your vision beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and skill. Dependable contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You need to have a set budget in mind when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate widely. Ensure that any contractor you hire provides documentation of all equipment and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication during the process about it's expected completion. What you don't want is for unexpected surprises to pop up once the project commences that will raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's dependability by assessing their online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from previous customers for view online, and these can be a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Will I have to prime cabinets cabinets before painting?
It's may be tempting to immediately start dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality beginning with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that all dirt or grease are completely removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and its gear, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products today which contractors use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also reach any places that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in some cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as facilitating better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only peel off and require repainting sooner than expected.
What factors are considered when it comes to establishing price of painting cabinets?
There are several factors that affect the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Albany, Wisconsin, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's advised to first seek out quotes from various contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters may bill you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: The contractor must recoup the price of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with a gallon typically being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the job completed.
You'll want to discuss your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Hire a Cabinet Painter in Albany, Wisconsin Who Will Bring Your Vision to Life
A quick way to enhance the appeal of your home and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and provide a new look that will match your current tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Albany, Wisconsin fluctuates, but many customers still report spending less than a third on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your area, factors like the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. You should start by coming up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the planet when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing methods of wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your current cabinets could be in good enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll love.
While looking for the perfect cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and specifications, you should look at their client reviews, gallery of previous work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A dependable contractor will be willing to share a history of past projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you understand precisely what to expect when the project is complete. Discover all the information needed to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Albany, Wisconsin easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.