Find Deck Staining in Ashland, Wisconsin
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Deck Staining Professionals nearDeck Staining // Wisconsin // Ashland
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Can the climate play a role in the outcome of deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll get the best results when executing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck is better while the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm or cold temperatures will negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as excessive moisture will prolong drying times and heighten the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains come with specifications on how long drying will take, and it's required that they remain dry during this time. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
Before staining a deck, what are the preparatory steps that are taken?
Detailed preparation of your deck and the surrounding area must be carried out to ensure a good result. Obstructing grass and plants should be removed, and nearby pathways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck may need to be washed or sanded to allow good penetration and adhesion.
Choosing the right stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires some consideration, including aspects like:
- Species of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from particular stains that will offer your deck a better aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks ranges from translucent to solid, with solid typically providing superior defense from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck has minimal durability, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its color and opacity to complement or stand out from the look of your home and yard.
Is there a significant difference in advantages between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting offer different benefits, so it's important to analyze which option most suits your needs when deciding between the two. The two most significant benefits of painting are its extensive variety of colors and enhanced surface preservation. However, paint also demands more maintenance due to chipping and fading over time. On the other hand, stain will not peel once properly cured, requires less effort to maintain, and has other benefits, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply sits on the surface, stains soak into the wood, delivering a deep layer of defense from moisture, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains contain additives that increase durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to determine which option will be best for you and your home.
Can staining my deck help protect it from climate-related damage?
Staining a deck comes with many advantages, including enhancing its style, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains come in a range of hues and opacities that will help revitalize the style of your home and yard. You're not as limited as you may think by choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have many choices to complement your home or produce a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain offers your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a professional who can ensure excellent results. The climate in Ashland, WI poses the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how strong the type of wood it's constructed with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Examples of other advantages of deck staining include inhibiting pests and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Discover a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get more out of your investment by extending its lifespan.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor Near Ashland, WI on Thumbtack and Obtain the Style and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for refreshing its look and providing long-lasting durability from the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to make sure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a professional is highly recommended if you lack experience performing deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it cures correctly to protect the wood from moisture, sun, and pests. You can also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can offer regarding choosing the right stain for the type of wood your deck is made with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, a lot of hues and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
Many homeowners wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting has more variety of colors and aesthetics and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times throughout the years as it peels away beneath steady use and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deep into the wood and has pigments to block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from mildew and insect damage. Stain also doesn't need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been properly cured.
Staining your deck calls for a practiced hand and careful consideration for every step of the process. Carrying out the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to less protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by hiring a pro who can deliver excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Ashland, WI and choose the best one matching your needs and budget easily in one place on the convenient Thumbtack app.