Find Deck Staining in Evansville, Wisconsin
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a big variance in advantages between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting offer their own benefits, so it's important to consider which option best fits your requirements when deciding between the two. The two most significant benefits of painting are the wider variety of colors and improved surface protection. However, paint also needs extensive upkeep due to peeling and fading over time. Conversely, stain will not peel if properly dried, requires less effort to care for, and has more benefits, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely covers the surface, stains soak into the wood, offering better defense from moisture, the sun, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains are mixed with additives that increase durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to decide which option is best for you and your home.
Why do I hear so many people say deck staining is a wise investment?
Staining a deck comes with several advantages, including enhancing its style, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains are available in a range of hues and opacities that will help re-energize the aesthetic of your home and grounds. You're not limiting yourself when choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several options to accentuate your home or create a look that stands apart.
The security that stain provides your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a contractor to ensure excellent results. The weather in Evansville, WI poses the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how durable the type of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Some other advantages of deck staining include inhibiting bugs and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Find an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
What sort of time frame should I anticipate from professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a detailed project that requires careful preparation and execution to achieve the desired outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface must be cleaned of dust and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain adheres properly. Surfaces may also need to be sanded or repaired of any damage to provide a consistent application of the stain. Anything surrounding the work area, such as pathways and structures, will have to be protected with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor will help you pick the best kind of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited for particular wood species and the aesthetic you're trying to achieve. The contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these tools to put on as many coats as are required for adequate penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - The contractor will follow the manufacturer's ratings for the kind of stain you've chosen and how long it takes to dry. It's essential that the deck is not touched and that the weather is acceptable for the drying process.
All of these steps are complex and time-consuming, but proper execution is vital to ensure the best result. A vetted deck staining contractor found on Thumbtack will bring the experience and skill to complete the job fast while achieving the desired look and durability.
What season of the year is suggested for carrying out my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll get better results when executing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck is better while the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm or cold temperatures will affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as too much moisture will prolong drying times and heighten the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have directions on how long drying will take, and it's required that it remains dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
Find a Deck Staining Contractor in Evansville, WI on Thumbtack and Obtain the Style and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is the perfect project for refreshing its look and providing long-lasting protection against weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor will handle the difficult task for you, from prep to application and drying, to make sure it turns out the way you expected.
Hiring a contractor is highly advised if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it cures correctly to protect the wood from water, sun, and insects. You will also benefit from the knowledge that experts can offer when it comes to picking the right stain for the type of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, plenty of hues and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
Many people wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting provides better versatility in colors and looks and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times over the years as it flakes away beneath heavy foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deep into the wood and contains pigments to block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from mildew and insect damage. Stain also won't need to be reapplied for two to three years so long as it's been properly dried.
Staining your deck demands a practiced hand and careful consideration at every step of the project. Carrying out the task at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to insufficient protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by hiring an expert who can ensure stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Evansville, WI and choose the best one suiting your vision and budget all in one place with the convenient Thumbtack app.