Find a Cabinet Painter in Junction City, Wisconsin
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Should I use the same paint on my walls to update the look of my cabinets?
A frequently asked question is about the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used for walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for home walls will face some challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them that sophisticated look. Common wall paints may not stick adequately to cabinets or start chipping or flaking away prematurely. The type of paint professionals use for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates longer time to dry and cure than those usually used on walls.
Is it difficult to find an experienced cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to discover the best one for your needs and vision requires a substantial amount of effort. The first place to start is by understanding precisely what aesthetic you're trying to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view samples of their past work matching your vision beforehand to get a sense of their experience and skill. Dependable contractors will be more than happy to grant this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a defined budget worked out when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate largely. Make sure that any painter you hire gives written statements of all material and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's expected completion. What you don't need is for unexpected surprises to occur after the project commences that will raise costs above what you planned for.
Give attention to the contractor's dependability by assessing any online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from previous customers for view online, and these can be an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and on budget.
Should I paint my cabinets before sanding?
It's may be enticing to quickly start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but an expert will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life starting with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that any dirt or grime are fully removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning step is also a good time to take apart the cabinets and their hardware, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products that professionals use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also reach any edges that are exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in some cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only chip off and require repainting sooner than expected.
What is the usual cost for a professional cabinet painter?
There are many factors that play into the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Junction City, Wisconsin, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's advised to first obtain quotes from several professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors could charge you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The contractor must recoup the cost of materials if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints used in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with one gallon typically being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the project finished.
You'll need to talk about your home's specific cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Update Your Cabinets for Less With a Reliable Cabinet Painter Near Junction City, Wisconsin
An exceptional way to increase the appeal of your home and refresh the look of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and give them a new look that will suit your current tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter around Junction City, Wisconsin fluctuates, but some homeowners have reported spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects such as the variety of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also benefits for the planet when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing methods of wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your existing cabinets could be in decent enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll love.
While looking for the perfect cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and needs, you should evaluate their customer reviews, gallery of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A reliable contractor will be willing to share their history of executing projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you know precisely what to expect when the job is finished. Find all the information needed to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter in Junction City, Wisconsin easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.