Find Deck Staining in Kiel, Wisconsin
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a certain time of year that's best for deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll get the best results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck is best while the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot or colder temperatures will affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as too much humidity will extend drying times and increase the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains feature specifications on how long curing will take, and it's essential that they remain dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
What preparations will a contractor carry out before diving into deck staining?
Careful prepping of your deck and the surrounding area must be conducted to ensure a good finish. Vegetation will need to be cut, and nearby pathways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck might need to be cleaned and sanded to allow adequate penetration and sticking.
Picking the best stain for any deck is an important step of the preparation and requires some consideration, including factors such as:
- Type of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from particular stains that will offer your deck the best aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks varies from transparent to solid, with solid usually delivering the most protection from water and UV rays. If the wood used on your deck is known for minimal strength, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its color and opacity to accentuate or stand out from the aesthetic of your house and lawn.
Should I stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting offer their own benefits, so it's important to analyze which option most fits your needs when deciding between the two. The two biggest benefits of painting are its extensive variety of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also demands extensive maintenance due to chipping and fading over time. Conversely, stain will not peel if properly dried, requires minimal effort to care for, and has more benefits, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply covers the surface, stains soak into the wood, offering better protection from water, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains are mixed with additives that boost durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the benefits of deck staining or painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice is best for you and your home.
Is the price of professional deck staining offset by any tangible benefits?
Staining a deck brings many benefits, including enhancing its look, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains are available in a variety of colors and opacities that will help re-energize the look of your house and yard. You're not as limited as you might think when picking deck staining over painting, as you still have many options to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain gives your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a contractor who can deliver excellent results. The climate in Kiel, Wisconsin is the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how durable the type of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. A few other benefits of deck staining include keeping out pests and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Discover a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get the most from your investment by extending its lifespan.
Discover a Deck Staining Professional in Kiel, Wisconsin on Thumbtack and Obtain the Look and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is worthwhile for revitalizing its look and delivering long-lasting protection against the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A dependable contractor will handle every step, from preparation to application and curing, to ensure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a contractor is highly advised if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or the time to devote to the project. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to secure the wood from moisture, sun, and insects. You can also benefit from the advice that contractors can offer when it comes to picking the right stain for the type of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. While stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, many colors and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of homeowners struggle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting has more versatility in colors and looks and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times over the years as it flakes away beneath constant use and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deeper into the wood and contains pigments that block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mold and insect damage. It also won't need reapplication for two to three years if adequately dried.
Staining a deck requires attention to detail and careful consideration through every step of the project. Performing the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in insufficient protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by hiring an expert who can guarantee stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Kiel, Wisconsin and choose the best one matching your vision and budget easily in one place on the powerful Thumbtack app.