Find a Cabinet Painter in Kimberly, Wisconsin
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will I be restricted by the type of paint I can use for my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used with walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the kind of paint usually used for home walls will encounter some difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them that sleek look. Common wall paints may not stick adequately to cabinets or begin to chip and flake away prematurely. The type of paint professionals use for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also requires longer drying and curing times than those usually applied to walls.
Is it simple to find an experienced cabinet painting contractor?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to discover the best one for your needs and style requires a substantial amount of consideration. A good place to focus on is by understanding exactly what aesthetic you want to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view samples of their prior work similar to your vision beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and ability. Reliable contractors would be more than happy to grant this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You should have a defined budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate significantly. Check that any contractor you consider provides written statements of all material and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication during the process about it's timeline. The last thing you want is for any surprises to pop up once the project has started that can raise costs above what you planned for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reliability by evaluating their online client reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from previous customers for view online, and these are also a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and within budget.
Can I simply paint over my kitchen cabinets?
It's may be tempting to quickly begin dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but an expert can quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality beginning with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that all dirt and grime are fully removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also a good time to take apart the cabinets and its components, like drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products that professionals use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also penetrate to those places that are exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in most cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only peel away and require repainting sooner than expected.
How can I estimate the price of cabinet painting?
There are many factors that affect the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. Around Kimberly, Wisconsin, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's advised to first seek out quotes from several professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters may bill you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: The painter must recoup the price of materials unless you're providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used in cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with one gallon usually being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the job performed.
You'll want to talk about your home's unique cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Renew Your Cabinets for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter Near Kimberly, Wisconsin
An exceptional way to enhance the value of your home and refresh the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a more affordable option over expensive replacements that also results in less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and deliver an updated look that will match your current style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Kimberly, Wisconsin fluctuates, but some homeowners have reported spending less than a third on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, aspects such as the variety of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the environment when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing methods of wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for logging. Your existing cabinets may be in good enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll love.
When looking for the perfect cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and needs, you should evaluate their client reviews, portfolio of previous work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A dependable painter will be willing to share their history of executing projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the job is finished. Discover all important information necessary to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Kimberly, Wisconsin easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.