Find Deck Staining in Kimberly, Wisconsin
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What are some benefits of staining a deck vs painting it?
Deck staining and painting offer their own advantages, so it's important to analyze which option most meets your requirements when deciding between them. The two most significant advantages of painting are its extensive selection of colors and improved surface shielding. However, paint also needs extensive upkeep because of peeling and fading over time. Conversely, stain does not peel once properly dried, needs minimal effort to care for, and has other advantages, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply sits on the surface, stains soak into the wood, delivering a deep layer of protection against moisture, the sun, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Some stains have additives that increase durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to determine which option will be best for you and your home.
Is staining a deck worth the cost if I hire a contractor?
Staining a deck offers several benefits, such as enhancing its appearance, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains come in a variety of colors and opacities that will help re-energize the aesthetic of your house and yard. You're not as limited as you might think by choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have several options to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands out on its own.
The security that stain gives your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a contractor to guarantee excellent results. The weather in Kimberly, WI poses the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how durable the kind of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Some other benefits of deck staining include stopping pests and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Hire a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
What steps are involved with professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a tedious project that needs careful preparation and application to get the desired results:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be cleansed of dust and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain sticks properly. Surfaces may also need to be sanded or repaired from any damage to facilitate a smooth application of the stain. The environment immediately outside of the work area, including pathways and buildings, will also need to be covered with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor will help you select the best kind of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited for specific wood species and the aesthetic you're trying to achieve. Your contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these tools to apply as many coats as are required for good penetration and adhesion.
- Drying Time - The contractor will follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the kind of stain you've selected and how long it takes to dry. It's essential that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is fitting for the curing process.
Each of these steps can be complex and tedious, but proper execution is critical to ensure the best result. A reliable deck staining contractor listed on Thumbtack will have the knowledge and skill to complete the job quickly while achieving the desired appearance and durability.
Can the weather impact my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance job and you'll get better results when executing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck works best when the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very warm and colder temperatures will affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as excessive humidity will extend drying times and increase the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have directions on how long curing will take, and it's required that they remain dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours before any possible showers.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor Near Kimberly, WI on Thumbtack and Obtain the Style and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is great for revitalizing its appearance and providing long-lasting protection against the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A dependable contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to make sure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a contractor is highly recommended if you lack experience performing deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it dries appropriately to secure the wood from water, sun, and insects. You can also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can offer when it comes to choosing the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is built with to ensure you achieve the desired look. While stain doesn’t offer as much variety as paint, many colors and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of people struggle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting has better versatility in colors and looks and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times over the years as it peels away beneath heavy use and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deeper into the wood and contains pigments to block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from rot and insect damage. It will also not need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been properly dried.
Staining a deck calls for a practiced hand and careful consideration at every step of the project. Carrying out the job at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to insufficient protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by hiring a professional who can promise excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Kimberly, WI and choose the best one suiting your needs and budget easily in one place on the powerful Thumbtack app.