Find Deck Staining in New Franken, Wisconsin
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Will the weather ruin my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll get the best results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining any deck works better when the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm and colder temperatures can negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as too much moisture can extend drying times and increase the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains feature directions on how long curing should take, and it's required that it remains dry during this period. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any potential showers.
Prior to deck staining, what are the preparatory actions that need to be taken?
Careful preparation of your deck and the surrounding environment needs to be performed to guarantee a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants should be cut, and any pathways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck may need to be cleaned and sanded to allow good penetration and adhesion.
Selecting the best stain for any deck is a part of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including factors like:
- Species of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from particular stains that will offer your deck a better look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from translucent to solid, with solid generally delivering superior defense from water and UV rays. If the wood used on your deck has minimal strength, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its color and opaqueness to accentuate or stand out from the aesthetic of your house and yard.
What are some advantages of applying stain to my deck compared to painting it?
Deck staining and painting have different benefits, so it's essential to analyze which option best fits your needs when deciding between the two. The two most significant benefits of painting are its wider selection of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also needs more maintenance due to flaking and fading over time. Conversely, stain does not peel if properly cured, requires less effort to care for, and has other benefits, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely coats the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing better defense against moisture, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains have additives that boost durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to determine which option will be right for your needs.
Is the price of professional deck staining justified by any real benefits?
Staining a deck brings several advantages, such as enhancing its look, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains are sold in a range of colors and opacities that can help re-energize the style of your house and yard. You're not limiting yourself when choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several options to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain gives your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a professional who can ensure excellent results. The climate in New Franken, Wisconsin is the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how durable the kind of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Examples of other advantages of deck staining include keeping out insects and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Hire a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get the most from your investment by extending its lifespan.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor in New Franken, Wisconsin on Thumbtack and Get the Style and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is great for refreshing its look and delivering long-lasting protection against weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A reliable contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to ensure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a professional is highly recommended if you lack experience performing deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures appropriately to protect the wood from moisture, sun, and insects. You can also benefit from the advice that contractors can offer when it comes to choosing the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is built with to ensure you achieve the desired look. While stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, many colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting gives more variety of colors and aesthetics and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times over the years as it flakes away beneath frequent foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deeper into the wood and has pigments that block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from rot and insect damage. It also won't need reapplication for a few years if adequately cured.
Staining any deck calls for attention to detail and careful consideration at every step of the process. Performing the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in less protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by turning to an expert who can promise excellent results. Compare staining contractors in New Franken, Wisconsin and choose the right one matching your vision and budget easily in one place with the powerful Thumbtack app.