Find Deck Staining in Onalaska, Wisconsin
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Deck Staining Professionals nearDeck Staining // Wisconsin // Onalaska
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Can the weather impact my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll get the best results when executing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck works best while the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very warm or colder temperatures will negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as excessive moisture will prolong drying times and increase the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with specifications on how long curing will take, and it's essential that they remain dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling must take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any possible showers.
Prior to deck staining, what are the preparatory actions that need to be taken?
Detailed preparation of the deck and the surrounding area needs to be conducted to ensure a good result. Obstructing grass and plants should be removed, and any walkways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of the deck might need to be cleaned or sanded to allow good penetration and adhesion.
Selecting the right stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires some consideration, including factors such as:
- Type of Wood - Some types of wood will benefit more from particular stains that will provide your deck a better aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks varies from clear to solid, with solid usually delivering superior protection from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck is known for low strength, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its color and opacity to accentuate or stand out from the aesthetic of your house and grounds.
Would painting my deck be a smarter option than staining it?
Deck staining and painting have unique benefits, so it's important to assess which option most meets your requirements when deciding between the two. The two most significant benefits of painting are its wider selection of colors and improved surface preservation. However, paint also demands more maintenance because of chipping and fading relatively soon. Conversely, stain does not peel if properly cured, needs less effort to care for, and has other benefits, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely coats the surface, stains soak into the wood, providing a deep layer of protection from water, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains contain additives that increase durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the advantages of deck staining or painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice is right for you and your home.
Can staining my deck help protect it from weather-related damage?
Staining a deck comes with many advantages, such as enhancing its look, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a variety of colors and opacities that will help revitalize the style of your house and yard. You're not as limited as you might think by choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many choices to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain provides your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a professional who can guarantee excellent results. The climate in Onalaska, WI is the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how strong the type of wood it's constructed with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Some other advantages of deck staining include stopping bugs and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Hire a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor in Onalaska, WI on Thumbtack and Get the Aesthetic and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for updating its appearance and delivering long-lasting protection from weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to guarantee it comes out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a professional is highly recommended if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it dries appropriately to safeguard the wood from moisture, UV rays, and pests. You can also benefit from the knowledge that professionals can share when it comes to choosing the right stain for the type of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. Although stain won't offer as much variety as paint, many colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
Many homeowners struggle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting has more variety of colors and looks and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times throughout the years as it chips away under heavy foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deeper into the wood and carries pigments to block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mold and insect damage. Stain also won't need to be reapplied for two to three years so long as it's been adequately cured.
Staining a deck calls for attention to detail and thoughtful consideration for every step of the process. Performing the job at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in insufficient protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by turning to an expert who can deliver excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Onalaska, WI and choose the right one suiting your needs and budget all in one place on the convenient Thumbtack app.