Find Deck Staining in Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What are some advantages of applying stain to a deck vs painting it?
Deck staining and painting offer their own advantages, so it's essential to consider which option most fits your requirements when deciding between them. The two most significant advantages of painting are its wider selection of colors and improved surface preservation. However, paint also needs more maintenance because of chipping and fading relatively soon. Conversely, stain does not peel if properly dried, requires minimal effort to care for, and has more advantages, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply coats the surface, stains soak into the wood, providing a deep layer of protection against moisture, the sun, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Some stains contain additives that increase durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the advantages of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to determine which option will be right for your needs.
Why do so many people say deck staining is a smart investment?
Staining a deck offers many advantages, including enhancing its appearance, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a range of colors and opacities that can help revitalize the look of your home and yard. You're not limiting yourself when choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have many choices to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The security that stain gives your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a contractor to guarantee excellent results. The climate in Oshkosh, Wisconsin is the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how strong the type of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Examples of other advantages of deck staining include stopping pests and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Discover an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get the most from your investment by extending its lifespan.
What sort of time frame can I anticipate when hiring a contractor for deck staining?
Staining a deck is a detailed project that requires careful preparation and application to obtain the desired results:
- Prep - The deck surface must be scrubbed of dust and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain adheres well. Surfaces may also need to be sanded or repaired from any damage to enable a smooth application during the next step. The environment immediately outside of the work area, like walkways and buildings, will have to be covered with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional can help you select the right kind of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited to specific wood species and the aesthetic you want to achieve. The contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these tools to put on as many coats as are required for good penetration and adhesion.
- Drying Time - The contractor will follow the manufacturer's ratings for the kind of stain you've selected and how long it takes to dry. It's important that the deck is not used and that the weather is acceptable throughout the drying process.
Each of these steps can be challenging and tedious, but proper execution is vital to ensure the best result. A dependable deck staining professional found on Thumbtack will bring the knowledge and skill to complete the job fast while delivering the desired look and durability.
Will the weather play a hand in the timing of deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance task and you'll achieve the best results when performing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to any deck is best when the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very hot or colder temperatures can affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as excessive moisture can extend drying times and heighten the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have specifications on how long drying should take, and it's essential that they remain dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling must take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any possible showers.
Discover a Deck Staining Professional Near Oshkosh, Wisconsin on Thumbtack and Obtain the Aesthetic and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for refreshing its look and delivering long-lasting durability against weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor can handle every step, from preparation to application and drying, to ensure it comes out the way you expected.
Enlisting a contractor is highly advised if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it cures appropriately to secure the wood from water, UV rays, and insects. You will also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can offer regarding picking the right stain for the type of wood your deck is built with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. While stain cannot offer as many style options as paint, plenty of colors and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
Many people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting gives better variety of colors and looks and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times over the years as it peels away beneath constant use and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deeper into the wood and contains pigments that block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from rot and insect damage. Stain will also not need reapplication for two to three years if properly dried.
Staining any deck requires attention to detail and careful consideration for every step of the project. Carrying out the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to insufficient protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by turning to an expert who can deliver stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Oshkosh, Wisconsin and choose the right one suiting your needs and budget easily in one place with the convenient Thumbtack app.