Find Deck Staining in Racine, Wisconsin
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is it better to stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting offer different benefits, so it's essential to assess which option most fits your needs when deciding between them. The two biggest benefits of painting are its extensive variety of colors and improved surface protection. However, paint also needs extensive maintenance because of peeling and fading over time. On the other hand, stain will not peel once properly dried, needs less effort to maintain, and has more benefits, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which only sits on the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing better defense from moisture, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Some stains contain additives that increase durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the benefits of deck staining and painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice is best for you and your home.
Why do I hear so many homeowners say deck staining is a good investment?
Staining a deck brings several benefits, such as enhancing its look, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a range of hues and opacities that can help revitalize the aesthetic of your home and yard. You're not as limited as you might suppose when picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several choices to complement your home or produce a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain offers your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a contractor who can deliver excellent results. The weather in Racine, WI poses the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how durable the type of wood it's constructed with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Examples of other benefits of deck staining include keeping out pests and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Hire a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
How long can I anticipate a contractor to take when deck staining?
Staining a deck is a tedious project that needs careful preparation and application to achieve the desired results:
- Prep - The deck surface must be scrubbed of dust and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain adheres well. The surface may also need to be sanded or repaired from any damage to facilitate a smooth application of the stain. The environment around the work area, like walkways and buildings, will also need to be covered by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor can help you select the best type of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited to specific wood species and the look you want to achieve. Your contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these tools to put on as many coats as are needed for good penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - A contractor will follow the manufacturer's ratings for the type of stain you've chosen and how long it takes to cure. It's important that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is fitting throughout the drying process.
Each of these steps are challenging and tedious, but attention to detail is necessary to ensure a high-quality result. A dependable deck staining contractor listed on Thumbtack will bring the knowledge and skill to finish the job fast while achieving your desired look and durability.
Will the climate play a role in the timing of deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance task and you'll achieve the best results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining a deck is best while the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot and cold temperatures can negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as excessive moisture can extend drying times and heighten the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have specifications on how long drying will take, and it's required that it remains dry during this period. Your project's scheduling must take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
Hire a Deck Staining Professional in Racine, WI on Thumbtack and Obtain the Aesthetic and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is the perfect project for updating its look and providing unmatched protection against weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to guarantee it turns out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a contractor is highly recommended if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or the time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures correctly to secure the wood from water, UV rays, and pests. You will also benefit from the advice that contractors can share when it comes to picking the right stain for the type of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you get the desired look. Although stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, many hues and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
Many homeowners wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting has more versatility in colors and styles and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times over the years as it flakes away under constant use and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deep into the wood and carries pigments that block harmful UV rays and other additives that protect it from mildew and insect damage. Stain will also not need reapplication for two to three years if adequately dried.
Staining a deck requires a practiced hand and careful consideration at every step of the project. Executing the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in insufficient protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by hiring a pro who can ensure excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Racine, WI and choose the best one matching your vision and budget easily in one place with the powerful Thumbtack platform.