Find a Cabinet Painter in Sister Bay, Wisconsin
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Which kind of paint do you use for cabinets?
A frequently asked question pertains to the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used on walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for interior walls will face some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their modern look. Typical wall paints will not stick sufficiently to cabinets and can start to chip and flake away prematurely. The type of paint professionals utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires extended time to dry and cure than those usually used on walls.
Is it easy to find a good cabinet painting contractor?
Vetting cabinet painters to uncover the most suitable one for your specifications and vision takes a substantial amount of work. A good place to begin is by understanding precisely what aesthetic you're trying to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view samples of their previous work similar to your vision beforehand to get a sense of their experience and ability. Dependable contractors will be pleased to grant this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You should have a set budget worked out while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate widely. Make sure that any painter you hire provides written statements of all equipment and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's expected completion. What you don't want is for unexpected surprises to occur once the project begins that will raise costs above what you planned for.
Give attention to the professional's dependability by assessing their online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from past clients for view online, and these can be a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and within budget.
Can I just paint over my kitchen cabinets?
It's may be enticing to quickly start painting and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming project when doing it alone, but an expert will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life beginning with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that all dirt and grease are thoroughly removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and its gear, like drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products that professionals use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also penetrate to any places that are exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in most cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only flake away and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
How much will I have to pay to paint my present cabinets?
There are many factors that play into the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Sister Bay, WI, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's advised to first obtain quotes from several professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors may bill you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The painter must recoup the price of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints utilized in cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with one gallon typically being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the project performed.
You'll want to talk about your home's unique cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Hire a Cabinet Painter in Sister Bay, WI Who Can Bring Your Vision to Reality
A quick way to enhance the appeal of your house and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of heavy use and give them an updated look that will match your evolving tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor in Sister Bay, WI varies, but some customers still report spending less than a third on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, factors such as the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among several different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also benefits for the planet when you decide to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing process of wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your existing cabinets might be in fair enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll love.
When looking for the best cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and specifications, you should evaluate their customer reviews, portfolio of past work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A reliable painter will be happy to show you a history of executing projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you understand precisely what to expect when the job is finished. Find all the information needed to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter in Sister Bay, WI easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.