Find Deck Staining in Belmont, West Virginia
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Can the weather impact my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance task and you'll achieve the best results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck is better while the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot or colder temperatures will negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as excessive moisture will prolong drying times and heighten the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains come with directions on how long drying will take, and it's required that they remain dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
What prep will a professional conduct before jumping into deck staining?
Detailed prep of the deck and the surrounding area must be carried out to ensure a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants will need to be cut, and any walkways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on the deck may need to be washed and sanded to facilitate adequate penetration and sticking.
Selecting the best stain for your deck is an essential step of the preparation and requires some consideration, including factors such as:
- Type of Wood - Some wood species will benefit more from particular stains that will give your deck a better aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks varies from translucent to solid, with solid usually providing superior defense from water and sun damage. If your wood species has minimal durability, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its color and opacity to complement or stand out from the aesthetic of your home and yard.
Will deck staining offer fewer benefits than painting?
Deck staining and painting offer unique benefits, so it's essential to assess which option best fits your needs when deciding between them. The two most significant benefits of painting are the wider selection of colors and improved surface preservation. However, paint also needs more upkeep because of peeling and fading over time. Conversely, stain will not peel if properly dried, needs minimal effort to care for, and has other benefits, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which only coats the surface, stains soak into the wood, delivering better defense from moisture, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains contain additives that increase durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to determine which option is right for you and your home.
Why do I hear so many homeowners say deck staining is a wise investment?
Staining a deck offers several benefits, including enhancing its look, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains come in a variety of colors and opacities that will help revitalize the aesthetic of your home and yard. You're not as limited as you may think when choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have several options to complement your home or produce a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain gives your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a professional who can ensure excellent results. The weather in Belmont, West Virginia poses the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how strong the kind of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. A few other benefits of deck staining include stopping bugs and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Find an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
Find a Deck Staining Contractor in Belmont, West Virginia on Thumbtack and Get the Aesthetic and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is worthwhile for revitalizing its look and providing long-lasting durability from the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to guarantee it turns out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a professional is highly advised if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to secure the wood from water, UV rays, and pests. You will also benefit from the knowledge that experts can offer when it comes to picking the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is made with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. While stain won't offer as much variety as paint, many colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of homeowners wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting has better versatility in colors and styles and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times throughout the years as it chips away beneath constant use and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deeper into the wood and has pigments that block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from rot and insect damage. It also won't need reapplication for a few years so long as it's been properly dried.
Staining your deck requires a practiced hand and careful consideration through every step of the project. Carrying out the task at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to insufficient protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by turning to a pro who can promise stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Belmont, West Virginia and choose the right one suiting your needs and budget easily in one place with the powerful Thumbtack app.