Find a Cabinet Painter in Bim, West Virginia
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Am I restricted by the kind of paint I can put on my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used with walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the type of paint generally used for home walls will encounter many difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them that modern appearance. Typical wall paints might not stick adequately to cabinets and can start chipping or flaking away prematurely. The type of paint contractors utilize for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires extended time to dry and cure than those generally used on walls.
How can I pick a painting contractor?
Comparing cabinet painters to uncover the best one for your needs and style requires a substantial amount of work. The best place to focus on is by knowing exactly what look you're trying to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see samples of their prior work aligning with your vision beforehand to get a feel for their experience and skill. Trustworthy contractors would be pleased to grant this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a set budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate widely. Check that any professional you consider provides written statements of all material and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's expected completion. The last thing you want is for unexpected surprises to occur once the project commences that can raise costs above what you planned for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reliability by checking any online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from previous customers available online, and these are also a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and within budget.
Should I simply paint over my home's cabinets?
It's may be tempting to immediately start painting and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming project when doing it alone, but a professional can quickly and effectively bring your vision to life beginning with the most common prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that any dirt or grime are completely removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning step is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and their gear, like drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products today which contractors use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also penetrate to any edges that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in some cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only chip off and require repainting sooner than expected.
Is it expensive to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are many things that affect the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. Around Bim, WV, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's advised to first obtain quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters may bill you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: The contractor will have to recoup the cost of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized in cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with a gallon typically being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job completed.
You'll want to discuss your home's particular cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Find a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Bim, WV to Bring Your Vision to Life
A smart way to boost the appeal of your house and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a cost-effective option over expensive replacements that also requires less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of heavy use and give them a new look that will match your evolving tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor around Bim, WV varies, but many homeowners have reported spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your location, factors like the kind of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the environment when you decide to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing methods with wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your existing cabinets might be in fair enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll love.
While hunting for the perfect cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and needs, you should analyze their client reviews, gallery of previous work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be happy to show you their history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you know exactly what to expect when the project is finished. Find all important information necessary to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Bim, WV easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.