Find a Cabinet Painter in Buffalo, West Virginia
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there a distinction with cabinet paint and wall paint?
An often asked question pertains to the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint typically used for home walls will face some difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them that sophisticated appearance. Common wall paints will not adhere properly to cabinets and can begin chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint contractors choose for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs longer time to dry and cure than those generally used on walls.
Which qualities do I search for from a reliable cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painters to find the perfect one for your needs and vision requires a substantial amount of effort. A good place to start is by understanding exactly what style you're trying to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view a sample of their past work matching what you're looking for beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and skill. Reliable contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a defined budget worked out when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate significantly. Check that any contractor you consider gives written statements of all material and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication during the project about it's expected completion. What you don't want is for any surprises to occur once the project commences that will raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Give attention to the professional's dependability by assessing their online client reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from past clients for view online, and these can be a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and within budget.
Should I paint my cabinets without sanding?
It's always tempting to quickly begin painting and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but an expert will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life starting with the most common prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that all dirt and grease are thoroughly removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also an appropriate time to take apart the cabinets and their gear, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great advancements, and there are products today which contractors use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also penetrate to any edges that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in some cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only flake off and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
How do I estimate the price of cabinet painting?
There are several factors that play into the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. Around Buffalo, WV, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first obtain quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors may bill you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The contractor will need to recoup the price of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon typically being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the job performed.
You'll want to discuss your home's particular cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Update Your Home for Less With a Professional Cabinet Painter Near Buffalo, WV
A quick way to increase the appeal of your property and refresh the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and give them a new look that will suit your current tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor in Buffalo, WV fluctuates, but some customers still report spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, aspects like the variety of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the planet when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing methods with wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your existing cabinets might be in fair enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
When hunting for the best cabinet painting professional matching your budget and needs, you should look at their client reviews, gallery of past work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A reliable contractor will be happy to share their history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you know exactly what to expect when the project is finished. Locate all important information needed to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Buffalo, WV easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.