Find Deck Staining in Gilbert, West Virginia
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Deck Staining Professionals nearDeck Staining // West Virginia // Gilbert
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Will painting my deck be a smarter option than staining it?
Deck staining and painting offer different benefits, so it's essential to assess which option most meets your requirements when deciding between them. The two most significant benefits of painting are its extensive selection of colors and improved surface protection. However, paint also requires extensive upkeep due to chipping and fading relatively soon. On the other hand, stain does not peel if properly cured, needs minimal effort to care for, and has other benefits, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which only coats the surface, stains soak into the wood, providing better protection from water, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains are mixed with additives that increase durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to determine which option is right for you and your home.
Can staining my deck offer any protection from the weather?
Staining a deck offers several advantages, including enhancing its style, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains are available in a variety of colors and opacities that can help revitalize the look of your house and yard. You're not limiting yourself when choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have several options to complement your home or create a look that stands apart.
The security that stain provides your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a contractor who can guarantee excellent results. The climate in Gilbert, WV is the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how strong the kind of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Examples of other advantages of deck staining include inhibiting pests and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Find a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get the most out of your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
How long will it take an expert to finish my deck staining project?
Staining a deck is a tedious project that needs careful preparation and execution to obtain the desired results:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be scrubbed of dust and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain adheres properly. Surfaces may also need to be sanded or repaired of any damage to provide a smooth application during the next step. Anything immediately outside of the work area, such as walkways and structures, will also need to be covered with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional can help you understand the right kind of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited for specific wood species and the style you're trying to achieve. Your contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these devices to put on as many coats as are required for adequate penetration and coverage.
- Drying Time - A contractor will follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the kind of stain you've chosen and how long it takes to cure. It's crucial that the deck is not used and that the weather is suitable for the curing step.
All of these steps are challenging and time-consuming, but attention to detail is critical to ensure a high-quality result. A reliable deck staining professional found on Thumbtack will have the knowledge and skill to finish the job fast while delivering your desired appearance and durability.
Which time of the year is recommended for performing my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll get the best results when performing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck is better while the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm and cold temperatures can affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as excessive moisture can extend drying times and heighten the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with directions on how long curing should take, and it's required that they remain dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling should consider the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
Find a Deck Staining Contractor in Gilbert, WV on Thumbtack and Obtain the Aesthetic and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for updating its appearance and providing long-lasting protection from the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to guarantee it comes out the way you expected.
Enlisting a contractor is highly advised if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it cures correctly to protect the wood from moisture, UV rays, and pests. You will also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can share regarding choosing the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired look. While stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, many colors and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of people struggle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting provides better variety of colors and styles and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times throughout the years as it flakes away beneath steady foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deep into the wood and has pigments that block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mildew and insect damage. It will also not need to be reapplied for a few years if properly cured.
Staining a deck calls for attention to detail and careful consideration for every step of the project. Carrying out the task at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in less protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by turning to an expert who can deliver excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Gilbert, WV and choose the right one suiting your vision and budget easily in one place with the powerful Thumbtack app.