Find a Cabinet Painter in Hamlin, West Virginia
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will it matter which kind of paint I pick for my cabinets?
A commonly asked question is about the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used with walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for home walls will encounter some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them their sophisticated appearance. Typical wall paints will not stick properly to cabinets or start chipping or flaking off prematurely. The kind of paint professionals utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also necessitates extended time to dry and cure than those generally applied to walls.
How do I know I've chosen the right cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to find the best one for your specifications and style takes a substantial amount of effort. A good place to begin is by knowing precisely what style you're trying to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see a sample of their past work matching your vision beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and ability. Dependable contractors would be more than happy to grant this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You need to have a defined budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate largely. Make sure that any contractor you hire gives written statements of all equipment and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the process about it's timeline. The last thing you want is for any surprises to pop up once the project has started that will raise costs above what you planned for.
Give attention to the professional's reputation by checking any online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from previous customers for view online, and these are also an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and on budget.
Should I just paint over my present cabinets?
It's may be enticing to quickly start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming task when attempting it on your own, but an expert will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality beginning with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that all dirt or grease are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and their gear, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products that professionals use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also reach those places that are exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in some cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as enabling better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only flake away and require repainting sooner than expected.
How can I estimate the price for cabinet painting?
There are many things that affect the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. In Hamlin, WV, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first seek out quotes from several professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters could bill you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your painter will need to recoup the price of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with a gallon usually being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the project completed.
You'll want to discuss your home's particular cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Find a Cabinet Painter Near Hamlin, WV to Bring Your Vision to Life
A smart way to boost the appeal of your home and update the look of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a cost-efficient alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and provide an updated look that will match your current tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Hamlin, WV fluctuates, but some customers still report spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates of different contractors in your area, factors such as the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. You should first come up with a budget and then inquire several different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also benefits for the world when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your present cabinets may be in good enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll love.
When searching for the best cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and specifications, you should analyze their customer reviews, portfolio of previous work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable painter will be willing to show you their history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you understand precisely what to expect when the job is finished. Discover all important information needed to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Hamlin, WV confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.