Find Deck Staining in Huntington, West Virginia
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Deck Staining Professionals nearDeck Staining // West Virginia // Huntington
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Can the weather play a hand in the timing of deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance task and you'll achieve better results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining your deck works best while the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot and cold temperatures can negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as too much humidity can extend drying times and increase the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have specifications on how long curing will take, and it's required that they remain dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any possible showers.
What prep will a contractor perform before diving into deck staining?
Careful prepping of your deck and the surrounding spaces needs to be performed to ensure a good result. Vegetation should be pushed back, and nearby walkways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck might need to be cleaned or sanded to allow good penetration and adhesion.
Choosing the right stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including factors such as:
- Species of Wood - Some wood species will benefit more from particular stains that will offer your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from clear to solid, with solid generally providing superior protection from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck has low strength, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its hue and opaqueness to accentuate or stand out from the aesthetic of your house and grounds.
What are the benefits of staining my deck vs painting it?
Deck staining and painting have their own benefits, so it's essential to consider which option best fits your requirements when deciding between them. The two most significant benefits of painting are the wider variety of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also requires extensive upkeep due to chipping and fading over time. On the other hand, stain will not peel once properly cured, requires less effort to maintain, and has other benefits, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply covers the surface, stains soak into the wood, delivering better protection from water, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains have additives that increase durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the benefits of deck staining and painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to determine which option will be best for you and your home.
Is the expense of professional deck staining offset by any tangible benefits?
Staining a deck brings many benefits, such as enhancing its look, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a variety of colors and opacities that can help re-energize the aesthetic of your house and yard. You're not limiting yourself by picking deck staining over painting, as you still have many choices to accentuate your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The security that stain offers your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a contractor to deliver excellent results. The climate in Huntington, WV poses the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how durable the type of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Examples of other benefits of deck staining include stopping bugs and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Find an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Find a Deck Staining Professional Near Huntington, WV on Thumbtack and Obtain the Aesthetic and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is the perfect project for refreshing its appearance and providing long-lasting durability against the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor can handle the challenging task for you, from prep to application and curing, to ensure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a contractor is highly advised if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it dries appropriately to protect the wood from water, sun, and pests. You can also benefit from the advice that contractors can offer regarding selecting the right stain for the type of wood your deck is built with to ensure you achieve the desired look. While stain won't offer as many style options as paint, many colors and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of homeowners wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting provides better variety of colors and looks and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times over the years as it peels away under frequent use and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deep into the wood and has pigments that block harmful UV rays and other additives that protect it from mildew and insect damage. Stain will also not need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been properly cured.
Staining your deck requires a practiced hand and careful consideration at every step of the project. Performing the task at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in insufficient protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by hiring a pro who can deliver excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Huntington, WV and choose the best one matching your needs and budget easily in one place on the powerful Thumbtack platform.