Find Deck Staining in Summit Point, West Virginia
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Can the weather impact my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll achieve better results when conducting it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Staining your deck works better while the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very hot or cold temperatures will affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as too much humidity will extend drying times and heighten the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have directions on how long drying should take, and it's essential that they remain dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
What preparatory measures should be taken before beginning the deck staining process?
Careful prepping of your deck and the surrounding spaces needs to be performed to ensure a good result. Obstructing grass and plants should be cut, and nearby pathways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on your deck might need to be washed and sanded to facilitate good penetration and sticking.
Choosing the right stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects such as:
- Type of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from certain stains that will give your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks ranges from transparent to solid, with solid generally delivering superior defense from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck has low strength, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its hue and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the aesthetic of your home and yard.
Should I stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting have their own advantages, so it's essential to consider which option best fits your requirements when deciding between the two. The two most significant advantages of painting are the wider variety of colors and improved surface shielding. However, paint also needs more maintenance due to chipping and fading over time. On the other hand, stain will not peel if properly dried, needs minimal effort to maintain, and has more advantages, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply sits on the surface, stains penetrate the wood, offering a deep layer of defense from water, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains have additives that enhance durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining or painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice is best for you and your home.
Will staining a deck give any benefits other than aesthetics?
Staining a deck comes with several benefits, including enhancing its style, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains are sold in a range of hues and opacities that will help revitalize the aesthetic of your home and yard. You're not limiting yourself by choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several options to complement your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The security that stain offers your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a contractor who can deliver excellent results. The climate in Summit Point, West Virginia poses the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how durable the type of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Examples of other benefits of deck staining include inhibiting insects and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Hire an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor in Summit Point, West Virginia on Thumbtack and Get the Look and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is great for updating its look and delivering long-lasting durability from the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A dependable contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to make sure it comes out the way you expected.
Hiring a contractor is highly recommended if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it dries appropriately to safeguard the wood from moisture, UV rays, and insects. You can also benefit from the advice that experts can offer when it comes to choosing the right stain for the type of wood your deck is built with to ensure you achieve the desired look. While stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, a lot of hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
Many people struggle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting offers better versatility in colors and styles and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times throughout the years as it chips away beneath steady foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deep into the wood and carries pigments that block harmful UV rays and other additives that secure it from rot and insect damage. It will also not need to be reapplied for a few years if properly dried.
Staining your deck demands attention to detail and thoughtful consideration through every step of the process. Performing the task at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to insufficient protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by enlisting a pro who can ensure excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Summit Point, West Virginia and choose the best one suiting your vision and budget easily in one place with the powerful Thumbtack app.