Find Deck Staining in Wheeling, West Virginia
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a specific time of year that's better for deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll get better results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to any deck is better while the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very hot or cold temperatures can negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as too much humidity can prolong drying times and increase the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have directions on how long drying will take, and it's required that they remain dry during this period. Your project's scheduling should consider the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any potential showers.
What prep is needed prior to staining a deck?
Careful prep of the deck and the surrounding area needs to be conducted to ensure a good result. Vegetation should be removed, and any pathways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of the deck may need to be washed or sanded to facilitate good penetration and sticking.
Selecting the right stain for any deck is a part of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including factors such as:
- Type of Wood - Some wood species will benefit more from certain stains that will provide your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks ranges from clear to solid, with solid generally delivering the most protection from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck has minimal durability, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its color and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the appearance of your home and yard.
Should I stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting offer their own advantages, so it's essential to assess which option best suits your requirements when deciding between them. The two most significant advantages of painting are its extensive variety of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also needs more upkeep because of chipping and fading relatively fast. On the other hand, stain will not peel once properly dried, needs minimal effort to care for, and has more advantages, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which only coats the surface, stains penetrate the wood, offering better protection from moisture, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains have additives that enhance durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining or painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to decide which option is best for you and your home.
Why do so many people say deck staining is a good investment?
Staining a deck comes with several benefits, including enhancing its style, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains are sold in a variety of hues and opacities that can help revitalize the look of your home and yard. You're not limiting yourself when picking deck staining over painting, as you still have several choices to complement your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The security that stain offers your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a professional to ensure excellent results. The climate in Wheeling, West Virginia poses the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how strong the kind of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Examples of other benefits of deck staining include stopping bugs and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Find an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get more from your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Find a Deck Staining Contractor Near Wheeling, West Virginia on Thumbtack and Get the Aesthetic and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is great for refreshing its look and delivering unmatched protection against weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor can handle the challenging task for you, from preparation to application and drying, to ensure it comes out the way you expected.
Hiring a professional is highly advised if you lack experience performing deck staining or the time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to protect the wood from water, sun, and pests. You will also benefit from the advice that contractors can share regarding selecting the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you get the desired look. Although stain cannot offer as many style options as paint, a lot of hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
Many people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting has better variety of colors and styles and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times over the years as it peels away beneath constant foot traffic and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deep into the wood and carries pigments to block harmful UV rays and other additives that protect it from mildew and insect damage. Stain will also not need to be reapplied for a few years if adequately dried.
Staining any deck demands attention to detail and thoughtful consideration for every step of the process. Performing the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in less protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by turning to a professional who can deliver stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Wheeling, West Virginia and choose the best one suiting your needs and budget easily in one place on the convenient Thumbtack platform.